Project Profile BDP Industries, Inc. Greenwich, NY
Town of Owego, NY
Wastewater Treatment Plant
Sludge Dewatering Improvements
Superintendent: Mick Trivisonno - Town of Owego
Engineer: Jim Suozzo, P.E. - Delaware Engineering, P.C.
Installing Contractor: Matt Centofante - Jett Industries, Inc.
Town constructed a new wastewater treatment facility in 1998. The system
Smith & Loveless PISTA grit removal, Austgen Biojet (ABJ) sequencing batch reactor, and Sanitaire coarse bubble aerobic sludge digestion. Sludge is dewatered using a BDP Industries 3DP belt filter press. The discharge cake is then hauled off-site for ultimate disposal.
Belt filter press technology was chosen for its reliability, ease of maintenance, and high solids throughput. The 3DP three belt machine provides the most operational flexibility for difficult to dewater sludges. The Town is now prepared to accept external sources of sewage and septage.
· Sludge Characteristics: Aerobically Digested Waste Activated
· Varying Sludge Consistency from Upstream Industrial Loadings
· Inlet Feed Solids: 1.0 to 2.0 percent
3DP Belt Dewatering Press Equipment Components
· 2.0 Meter 3-belt Machine : Large machine for infrequent dewatering operation
· Variable Speed Inlet Flocculator : Evenly distributes sludge over gravity deck
· Gravity Deck Air Sparger Unit : Cleans filter fabric for enhanced dewatering
· Master Control Panel : Complete central control of all dewatering equipment
· Hydraulic Power Pack : Reliable belt tracking and tensioning
· Independent Gravity and : Provides maximum operational flexibility. Belt speeds
Pressure Dewatering Sections are adjusted to optimize cake solids and capture rates.
Polymer use is minimized.